Dublin City Centre (International Firm)
Ideally, we are looking for someone with 3- 5 years PQE (other PQEs would be considered) with a solid and proven track record in general defence work.
Understanding client requirements and providing practical answers to problems whilst ensuring best practice and technical accuracy at all times is crucial in this role. The successful candidate will form a key part of a busy team that covers all of the following areas;
Public Liability, Employer's Liability and motor claims, at all court levels, with some exposure to professional negligence claims.
It is an exciting opportunity to work within a busy and ambitious team within the Dublin office.
Main function of job:
To assist partners and senior associates in the effective conduct of cases and to take responsibility for your own caseload under supervision.
Significant contact with insurer and insured and privately funded clients, together with counsel, expert witnesses, the courts and other parties in a very busy and dynamic team.
The role presents significant opportunities for training, growth and development in a unique team.
• Provide a high quality service to clients in a commercial and professional manner managing, under supervision, a caseload of motor, public liability, employer's liability and product liability claims.
• You will have your own caseload under supervision, along with assisting more senior staff members on more complex and/or high value cases. You will have autonomy (under supervision) to run your own caseload including responsibilities such as attending settlement meetings, consultations with counsel, and attending court.
• Maintain an understanding of the latest developments in Insurance law and wider commercial litigation.
• Be accountable for individual and team financial management ensuring a pro-active approach is taken to meeting individual and team targets;
• Raise individual profile and that of DWF through coverage in the legal press and DWF promotional material, assisting to maximise own revenue with existing clients through the introduction of clients to other practice areas/groups where applicable;
• Play a proactive role in business development including writing articles, delivering presentations and facilitating seminars;
• Support others to perform to their potential, delegating work, providing technical and strategic advice to more junior fee earners, supervising cases and giving relevant guidance to support the development and progression of others as appropriate. Where appropriate take line management responsibilities;
• Develop strong internal and external working relationships based on trust and respect, ensuring there is regular communication within the practice area/group and with the external clients;
Key skills/knowledge required:
• Qualified lawyer some experience of acting for insurers, preferably undertaking general liability/personal injuries defence work,
• Ideally, the successful candidate will also have expertise in at least one wider area of Insurance law.
• A willingness to take responsibility for a varied and challenging caseload, under supervision, including motor, EL/PL, defamation and product liability cases;
• Proven track record of working in an environment with a high level of autonomy and responsibility.
• Effective team player with collaborative and supportive approach.